Sunday, June 3, 2012

Of poetry and sugar bombs

Driving back home, the kannada song 'Ninna Nudiyu (ನಿನ್ನ ನುಡಿಯು, ಹೊನ್ನ ನುಡಿಯೋ)  started playing on the radio. The song is in the Kalyani Raaga (or Lydian mode ) - which I'd once taught Avaneesh on the guitar.

I ventured - "Do you recognize the scale?"
"It's a major scale" he replied.
Encouraged, I continue..  "yes, major scale.. but what are the notes?"
No reply.. so I tried pointing out the raised 4th note.. making him voice the notes of the scale. He nodded, but was more interested in something else in the back of the car.

We had arrived - and started walking to the apartment. I thought maybe poetry in the lyrics might interest him. Also teach him a couple of kannada words in the process. Buy one get one free.

'ninna nuDiyu, honna nuDiyu  ನಿನ್ನ  ನುಡಿಯು, ಹೊನ್ನ  ನುಡಿಯು
jEna haniyu, hridayake'            ಜೇ ಹನಿಯು, ಹೃದಯಕೆ

'nuDi' means "word or spoken word" .. so "ninna nuDiyu means.. "
 "Your word ?" he says.

Nodding, I go on..  'honna nuDiyu' - where 'honnu' means 'gold'.
So, we have .. 'your word, is a golden word' .
'Golden word? ' he repeats.. with a neutral tone in the voice.

Anxious not to lose him.. I go on:
'jEna haniyu, hridayake' - ' means 'a drop of honey to my heart'
At his look, I realized I'd lost him.
It means 'your every word is golden, and like a drop of honey to my heart'
Again the blank look. I then realize that 'honey' s significance was probably lost on a kid that's grown up on sugar or chocolate frosted cereals.

We had reached the apartment already, and he was now putting his shoes in the shoebox. 
'You know.. honey is very sweet.. so when he says 'a drop of honey to my heart', he means it feels very good. .. like a very sweet thing'
I see the bulb flash in the eyes .
'Ah .. you mean .. like a sugar bomb!'

He left me standing there, pretty pleased with himself on making the connection.

One girl would have been nice, I echo his mom's sentiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment