Saturday, July 18, 2009

You changed the color of my guitar!

Nishu's guitar lessons are half baked. That is, they have 'guitar' in it, but no 'lessons'. He barely does what I asked him to do, but does plenty in those sessions.
I used to tune his guitar based on a tuner his buddies bring. Then I realized that it was a semitone off compared to a couple of online guitar tuners.
So I tuned it using an online tuner.

A few days ago he picks up his guitar and says, "Papa, you've changed the color of my guitar!"
I stared at him .. and he explained " it used to be grey, but now you've made it white!"
I then remembered an earlier ramble from Nishu about how different notes were different colors.

Though I wondered if it was a coincidence or if he could really recognize a semitone difference in tuning..I then forgot about it until yesterday.
This time, I'd used a winamp plugin to reduce 'Sweet Child Of Mine' by a tone or so I could play the lead in my accoustic guitar without having to reach too high.
And I'd left that plugin on.
Seeing the laptop free, he started up his usual song ( he loves the GNR album 'Chinese Democracy' ) and again started complaining. "Papa, you've changed the color of this song too!"
I then reset the plugin, and he was happy.

Twice is less likely to be a coincidence. So, I suppose his brain one of those that associates music with colors. Googling, I found out its called 'Sound to color Synesthesia'.

Is that useful ? I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment